Welcome to our website !

Thirty to ThirtEe #7: What Do I Want For My Birthday?

By 1:08 AM

A couple of my friends and my Dad have been asking me what I want for my birthday this year, it being the big 3-0 and all that, you know?


I've thought about it a bit. Sure there are a couple things that I wouldn't mind getting here and there, and some things I aspire to materially. But really, there's nothing that I really want that I don't already have.

Things are things. I've been working to declutter these past few months (another blog post). Here's the funny thing (no pun intended). Every time I get rid of things, I hesitate, hemming and hawing about why I should keep it. But, during the times I have just gotten rid of this or that, I've never thought about it again. It's been a good reminder that I'm really lacking nothing, and things are just things. 

All I want, really, is to be happy in life. That happiness, I believe is derived from other "things" in life.

1. Friends and Family - You know, the Uber ride that came to a screeching halt (and that provided two months of free self-reflection) really made me realise that while work is good, it's not everything. The amount of hours and blood and sweat and tears taught me a lot, but I don't ever want again to neglect the more important things in life - namely, relationships with my friends and family. I want to deepen my relationship with my parents and aunts and uncles. I'd like to, instead of trying to increase the number of "friends," strengthen and build on the ones that I already have and care about. 

2. Good Health - Most of you know that I was born, with TGA, which meant open heart surgery at 5 weeks old, and a mini stroke that left me with a benign brain cyst and slightly crappy right hand. From young, I've gone for checkups year after year, and been on, (and now off!) medicine. I've ben doing well, and would like it to stay that way. I've seen relatives and friends suffer from various maladies, and it's really hard. My hope, and wish and prayer is that I can stay healthy, and not get into any serious accidents. 

3. Healthy Bank Account - I've been lucky enough to be financially secure in life, but Uber fun-employment also gave me a glimpse of what it could be like if I can build up a nest egg that allows me to live of the interest. That's more material, but I honestly want to have the freedom and ability to work on things that truly bring me and others happiness without having to worry about a pay check. 

4. Peace with Myself - I have made so many dumb decisions in my life. With each of those decisions, I've learned a lesson or two. But, there's still more time with a lot more mistakes to make and get over. I can only hope that are aren't terrible, terrible mistakes going forward. I know myself. I get worried and panic easily. I doubt myself a lot, and that has lead to some not so good decisions. As I get older, I'm going to work on those (not so good) natural tendencies, and overcome the natural man to be a better, more calm and confident person. I want to look back and say, "Hey, that's something I learned." But, I want to be at peace with myself. No regrets, no regrets.

This is a prime example. I'm finishing up this blog post at one on the morning, and I have 23 blog posts to write, but only 3 days more to write the rest of the posts. One thing to make peace with, my procrastinating.

By the way, I really dislike chocolate cake.







You Might Also Like

0 comments