Welcome to our website !

What Do I Want To Do With My Life?

By 6:50 PM

It's 3:30 a.m. right now, and I'm staring at my computer screen.

After getting locked out of the public relations agency room on campus (with my laptop and car keys in there), and having to call campus police to get my stuff, I decided to head home.

Since I have three more stories to write for my advanced reporting class, along with a final presentation and another project, I've spent most of the day developing a restaurant concept that I've been wanting to work on for awhile. Funny how much we start finding other things to do, when there's so much to do.

Blake, my roommate, was telling me that he was doing the exact same thing today, looking at different and completely unrelated career paths today instead of studying.

Here comes the Asian F.

Anyhow, I've been filling up applications to various internships. Yes, even at two in the morning. What's been on my mind the past few days isn't helping though.

What the heck do I want to do with my life?!! There are so many things I know I'd be decent at, but what am I really passionate about?

Food.

I love food.

But, seriously, I'm Asian. I need a real job.

I was chatting with a friend from high school last night. To be honest, I felt rather inadequate. A, as we shall name her, is awesome. She's really nice and sweet, and she's rather attractive too. It gets better.

A runs track for her college, she has a near perfect GPA, she's interned in Hilary Clinton's office, along with a stint at NATO's headquarters in Belgium. She's got some other great offers lined up (which I won't mention to respect her privacy), and oh. She's a finalist for the Rhodes Scholarship. The LA Times also did a feature story on her.

Wait, WHAT?

What am I doing with my life? Why am I not more driven?

Sure, I've got a decent GPA, I had an amazing internship with Bloomberg this summer, and I can carry a tune, most of the time.

There's this disconnect, I think, between what I am passionate about, with what I want to be good at, and what I'm actually good at.

Let's be honest. My math sucks. When I was studying math with my white roommate from Texas, it was because he was tutoring me, not the other way round. So much for stereotypes.

Anyhow, I'm good at public relations, but I don't know if it's my passion. I like certain facets of it, and actually love certain things in the profession. But, I like finance, I like money. Bloomberg reminded me of that. Bloomberg also reminded me that I can write pretty well. But, I don't want to write for the rest of my life.

I'm applying for internships at multiple places now. I have an offer in hand, but it's in China. I love China, and the company is great. But, do I want to move there when I graduate? Heck, I want to get married. So I'm applying to all these different companies that are really cool. But, I've been applying to investment firms and banks too, and I love that, I'm passionate about finance, about banking.

I love food.

Let's hope that 10 years from now, I've opened up a chain of restaurants based on my concept, I've started a clothing line with my friend, and I have a home in Dallas by White Rock Lake.

Right.

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. comparisons to others lives isn't fair to yourself ... you are awesome just being you <3 go for the passion. You only get one life, you might as well enjoy it <3 ...oh, how about this? Own a chain of restaurants, and be a food critic?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say go for your passions! You are a great cook and I know you would enjoy your profession every day if it had to do with food. I know that you feel you have certain expectations to live up too. But you should be able to do whatever you want. An Asian person won masterchef this year. Subs you should apply and sin next :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not to be all non-conformist Asian here, but I've been feeling kinda hippie-ish. Meaning, I've been trying to UN-brainwash myself of societal conformity. Explore what happiness and success mean on my own terms. Stop being a SHEEP.

    There are so many strategies to decide what we want to do, like follow your passions (and success will follow), screw passion and instead get so good/skilled at smthg that companies can't ignore you (and success [and passion!] will follow), under-schedule yourself so you have free time to explore/become interesting (and success will follow), only work for 4 hours a week and make money off YouTube videos (and well, maybe not success but inner zen and nomadic world traveling will follow)--or so they promise.

    Seriously Ee, who knows? Defining this is the anthem and gall of our generation. But, hey, I feel you man.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is nothing wrong with living an ordinary life without worldly fame or success. I'm a stay at home mom without a degree or a career, but I am so happy. The BYU environment can often make us feel like we're not good enough because everyone is so accomplished and talented. But I've found that happiness comes from loving our work and the people around us. Don't sell out ;)

    ReplyDelete