Welcome to our website !

I Am Alive

By 6:16 AM

Life is fragile.

I just read a post on my friend's wall about her friend who's in critical condition in the hospital after a serious car accident. Her friend's sister did not survive. It turns out that the sister was a freshman at BYU, and was just traveling for the Thanksgiving break.

Sometimes it is hard to conceive why things like this happen. I have no idea who this girl was, but I can only imagine how much grief and suffering this family must be going through right now. Whenever I read about things like this, it really makes me take a step back to think about where I am at in my life, along with the choices and decisions I am making.

There is so much to do in this life. There is so much to see and do and accomplish. Where do I even begin?

Tagore once said "The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough." 

I've been thinking about this quote for the past couple of days, and it wasn't until I read about that's girl's death that I more fully understand it.

There are so many things for us to choose from, and we have to make decisions, then, that in the moment, make the moment. If we make a decision to to this or do that, then we enjoy that choice, we enjoy what we do in the moment. Sure, we can plan ahead, and we can try and make sure that everything we plan goes according to that timetable. More often than not, though, that will not happen. Something is bound to change the course that we have so carefully crafted for ourselves.

The life span of the average butterfly is only 20-40 days, so each moment counts. That might seem so short, but the butterfly has time enough, because it is all relative to the perspective we have.

So, I think that if we can cherish the moments that make up the hours, days, months, and years, we will have time enough. If we live in the moment, we will prioritize and make the choices that allow us to live a happy and fulfilling life because it will be relative to the perspective that we have in relation to our own lives.

I saw this poster on my newsfeed from another friend.


It makes such a good point. I/we/all of us should and can never be bored because there is so much for us to learn, to do, and to see. Whether it is reading a new book or going out on a walk to think or admire the leaves, the lessons life has to offer are bountiful.

As I'm making decisions about where I should apply for work and all that, and while I'm trying to juggle school, work, and relationships, it might be busy. It is even crazy and stressful. But, I have opportunities that that young girl will never have.

That is my blessing, and yours too. So, carpe diem, seize the day, live your life, because it is a gift. Never be bored, learn, grow, make mistakes, fail, take a wrong turn. At the end of the day, it all comes back in a full circle.

I am alive, and that is AMAZING.

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. THAT IS SO SCARY; and close to home. I had a close call the Wednesday before Thanksgiving in 2008. Great thoughts. Thanks for posting this

    ReplyDelete