Welcome to our website !

Hire a Mormon Missionary

By 11:26 PM

Why do the CIA and FBI love hiring from BYU? Why does Goldman Sachs and Credit Suisse come to Utah to find their analyst class? Why are there so many successful entrepreneurs from a small religious group? What's the deal with the disproportionate number of Mormon Congressmen?

As an inactive Mormon, I sometimes wonder if there was value in serving a church mission. For those of you unfamiliar with it, at age 19 (now 18), Mormon men sacrifice two years of their life, leaving family, school, and life to convert people to their faith.

Most people my age have now completed graduate school, or are further along in their careers. At times, this has been rather frustrating. My thought has been this - If I don't fully hold to the tenets of the faith, what was the point of giving up two years of my life? Was there value in what I did, and if there was, could I have learned it doing something else with added value/results?

The answer is, I don't know. Going on a mission was a choice I made with the knowledge and belief I had then. Instead on harping on the what-ifs, I've started asking myself - what did I give, and what did I gain? My mission taught me lessons that have been invaluable in the workplace, and have helped me, years later. Life really is about connecting the dots backward. I've slowly learned to not harp on past choices but take the best from it (and what life throws at you).

I believe that because I went on a mission, I am a better employee in the workplace. Not that I'm better than anyone I work with, but more that I am a better version of myself, and would have been a lesser person without the mission.

So, what did I learn?

I Can Do Hard Things
That was an important lesson I didn't realize I had learned till years after my mission. When I started at Goldman Sachs and started putting in 12-15 hours days, there were days I wanted to quit, but I didn't. Why? I learned on my mission that you don't quit. You couldn't quit. There was days when 25-30 people would reject you in a row, they wouldn't listen, they'd curse at you. But, you just kept on going - "Hi, my name is Elder Chua..." There were hard days when you just didn't get along with your mission companion, or you especially missed your friends, family, and even college. But, what did you do? You woke up and followed the routine. Exercise, breakfast, study, talk to people, lunch, talk to people, home. And that routine continued day in, day out.

Since then, whether it's been at school or work, I've learned to persevere and push through what might be hard or seem even quite impossible. Because of my mission, I hardly ever give up, I can do hard things.

What's Rejection?
"No."
"Go away."
"This is of the devil."
"You're not welcome here."
"I'm calling security."

Not many people are willing to listen to two awkward kids barely past their teenage years asking them to meet up to read a newfangled scripture. You get rejected A LOT in the two years. Let's say you talk to 50 people a day, and about 40 of them reject you daily. That's 40 people x 365 days x 2. That's 29,200 people who say no to you.

That's why, Mormons make excellent door-to-door salesmen, and why Provo, Utah, is littered with companies that push door-to-door sales - alarm system, trash collection, pest control and more.

Religion is the thing to sell, and you develop a great sales pitch. Most people either have it, or want it, but they just don't know it yet.

Social Graces
Whether you like it or not, you're stuck with a companion 24/7 (aside from the bathroom, of course). This means that sometimes, you get stuck with someone you really don'y get along with, but have to be with anyway. While this can be extremely stressful (and at times, cause shingles), being on a mission teaches you to tolerate and even love someone, even if you don't really like them.

You learn together, you suffer together, you grow together. What greater way is there to build a bond? Some of my mission companions (and non-companions) continue to be some of my best friends. Even though we don't see eye to eye on religion anymore, we still trust and respect one another, and have all the fun along the way. Some of my best memories in life are from that time - getting stuck on 10 foot high fences, playing Settlers in the evenings, splitting pants trying to carry too many pamphlet boxes or getting drenched by passing buses.

All in All
All of the above is why many people who serve missions go on to lead successful lives in their entrepreneurial endeavors, or in their careers. Missions aren't a through train for success, and not everyone comes out with the same perspective, but in my personal experience, it taught me a lot about myself, about other people, and how to be a better person.

I'm not perfect, I've made some mistakes along the way (Mormon or not). But, I learned that we can always make it eight, with ourselves and good values that grounded me, and while if uprooted, can be re-soiled.

Lastly, and without getting too preachy, I developed a stronger faith in Jesus Christ. I learned that there are certain things in this world that I cannot do alone. There were times on my mission that I know there was more than just me carrying me through. I'm glad I got to spread His message of love and hope and joy, and hope that as I find my new (religious) path in life, I continue to draw on the good I learned.

Hire a Mormon missionary, and you'll get a honest, hardworking, kind (and sober) employee or business partner. Good luck!

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Ee Chien thanks for sharing. Well written post about the things you gained from your mission. My mission benefited me in a similar way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ee Chien, I so enjoyed reading your post, and I so enjoyed getting re-aquainted with the Ee Chien that I have always respected and loved as my brother in the Gospel. I'm sure that you remember that I taught at the Singapore American School when you were a student there. Please know that I was always tickled to hear your greeting, whenever you would see me--and sometimes at a great distance--in large crowds, "Hi Sister Hindman" in a bold and unabashed declaration. You have been a light to so many, including me, and I encourage you to re-discover what you once held so dear. As the scriptures say, "By their fruits ye shall know them" (Matthew 7:20)and I believe what you have described in your post is about the fruits of living the gospel--as you stated, a byproduct of serving faithfully is that we are allowed to gain those skills that are highly valued in the workplace. We love you Ee Chien! Lynne Hindman, aka "Sister Hindman
    p.s. you may have a type-o? "I learned that we can always make it eight." :)

    ReplyDelete