Welcome to our website !

Thirty to ThirtEe #2: Learning the public transportation system

By 9:56 PM

I was heading back to my Mom's place from my Dad's and figured I'd take the MRT back to save some money.

To get to work from my Dad's, I take it from Steven's to Bugis, then switch over to the Green line to get to Tanjong Pagar. So, I thought that to get back, I had to go that same way, which would take me 13 stops.

I happened to mention that to Denise, who was rather alarmed that I was taking that route.

"Take it one stop to Botanic Gardens," she said. "Then it's just four stops to Buona Vista."

Crisis averted.

That saved me 8 stops and quite a bit of time.

I started staring at the MRT map and realized how many stations and lines they've added. It made me realize how out of touch I am with the public transportation system.

Rode an Ofo bike back to my house from the station.

You know, if you really want to save some serious dough- Grab ride (ridesharing) for $11 or an MRT ride + Ofo rental for $1.81, you can. At the same time, you get some exercise in from the biking and walking.

One of my Thirty to ThirtEe goals (and beyond July) these next few months to take Grab or taxis as little as possible, and instead do this MRT/bus/bike-sharing transportation model. 

Onward, Singapore!

You Might Also Like

0 comments