Welcome to our website !

A Millennial's Tribute to LKY

By 5:46 PM


I was trying to write a long, moving tribute in remembrance of Lee Kuan Yew, but I've got a feeling that if he read something like that, he'd criticize it and not being wishy washy. While he was eloquent, I believe brevity was also one of his strengths.

So, Mr. Lee, thank you for building our nation from a mud-flat swamp to the social and economic powerhouse it is today. Thank you for not caving in to your critics and dissenters who deemed you a "dictator." No so called dictator has ever turned a third world country into a first world nation in 30 years. Thank you for "fostering a nanny state."

"Between being loved and being feared, I have always believed Machiavelli was right. If nobody is afraid of me, I’m meaningless."

Thank you for trying to inculcate in Singaporeans a sense of ethics, of hard work and loyalty. Over the past few years, it has been saddening to read posts when people, especially the younger generation, disparage you and your Old Guard for what you did when building Singapore. They cannot comprehend or even understand what your generation went through and the environment and context in which you crafted your policies and made your decisions. They didn't see the "dark ages" during the Japanese occupation, or the ineffectiveness of the British in keeping Singapore safe. Hopefully they'll realize that one day, and be grateful for you. They don't know that without you, Singapore would be nothing.

Everybody knows that in my bag I have a hatchet, and a very sharp one. You take me on, I take my hatchet, we meet in the cul-de-sac.

Thank you for teaching us about fidelity and love, and being an example both in your public and personal life, to fight for what you love.

Without her, I would be a different man, with a different life... I should find solace in her 89 years of a life well lived."

Thank you for fighting for Singapore every step of the way, in believing in us when everyone thought we would fail. There were so many that thought Singapore would fall to the wayside. Everytime I visit home, I marvel at how much it has changed and grown, and it's all because you taught us that we can't be sedentary, that we have to constantly work to make Singapore better.

"Whoever governs Singapore must have that iron in him, or give it up! This is not a game of cards! This is your life and mine! I spent a whole life-time building this, and as long as I am in charge, nobody is going to knock it down."

I am a grateful Singaporean son. No man is perfect, but you built a country that is pretty darn close to perfect. Thank you for giving your life to Singapore.

"I have spent my life, so much of it, building up this country. There's nothing more that I need to do. At the end of the day, what have I got? A successful Singapore. What have I given up?My life."

Majulah Singapura.


You Might Also Like

0 comments