Welcome to our website !

Learning and Living

By 2:15 PM


I was talking to one of my classmates a few weeks ago, when she exclaimed, "I don't understand why people think it isn't cool to read the news. When I ask them if they've read about this or that and they just laugh and make a joke out of it, it's really frustrating."

I agree with her.

I'm sitting in the library right now, taking a break from the studying I've been trying to get done, and completing projects along the way. Sometimes, it's so time consuming and I don't want to study, I think it is a pain. But, when I really think about it, it really is a privilege.

Don't get me wrong. Tests and exams and projects and final papers are stressful. Someones I wonder how any of us get through all of them. But, here's the thing. It is a blessing to learn. There are those who do not have that choice, to choose going to the library to study, or sit and home and watch a show.  Rather, they are trying to figure out where to get their next meal. Our problems in university are nothing compared to more than 93.3% of the world.

George H. Brimhall, the namesake of the building the communications department is housed, said "It is a sin to be ignorant when there is opportunity for knowledge."

Going back to what my friend said, I believe that is true in every way. We have been given the opportunity and blessing to live on this Earth, to learn, study, and grow. It is up to us, then, to make the most of our time here on this Earth, to learn, and then to impart it to the next generation.

Books are important, school is essential, but general knowledge is perhaps the most important of all.

Why?

What happens in the world each day affects both us and those around us, whether in a minute or more direct way. Because of our background and education, we have the ability to help the less fortunate. However, if we are not educated as to world events, we cannot take the abilities and privileges we have been given and help those in need.

Reading the newspaper is a good thing. Liberal or conservative, we have the responsibility to educate ourselves. We do not have to be ignorant, because news is now really accessible to us. Set your home page to a news website, get an app that sends you updates.

It's easy.

The point is, we have the opportunity for knowledge. Let's take advantage of that.

You Might Also Like

0 comments